This is a reminder that all children 6 months of age or older who attend Massachusetts childcare, pre-school, K-12, and colleges and universities must receive the flu vaccine on or before December 31, 2020. This includes:
• K-12 students participating in remote education models;
• Students in private, parochial and charter schools;
• Full-time undergraduate and graduate students under the age of 30.
Schools are responsible for compliance with all vaccination requirements.
1. Home-schooled children. The schooling must be completely separate (unsanctioned) by any school system. Remote participation in a K-12 program is not home-schooling and is not exempt.
2. Completely online higher education students who do not participate in any on-campus activities or programs at all.
3. Children/Students with a physician-certified medical exemption. Health of child/student would be endangered by the vaccination. (G.L. c. 76, §15). Physician-certification is reviewable by school health program physician, who may refer the case to DPH for final determination.
4. If parent/guardian states in writing that it conflicts with his/her religious beliefs. However, this exemption is not applicable during a declared emergency or pandemic. (G.L. c. 76, §15).
5. If child/student is “immune” as defined by DPH guidelines.
• G.L. c. 76, §15;
• 105 CMR 220.300 to 220.600
• CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/index.html
This information is provided for educational purposes only and is not to be construed as legal advice. For legal advice, please contact your city or town attorney. (11.3.2020)
PDF Version –> VACCINATION GUIDANCE SCHOOL 11.3.2020